Friday, November 18, 2011

Art Every Day - November 18 - More Hospital Art

While I like to think of myself as an artist, I confess that I lack confidence to tackle any big project that requires any degree of skill. So Kathy Barbro's blog Art Projects for Kids often inspires me with simple projects for my children -- and for me. Last night she posted about a Kandinsky Water Colour activity, and I decided it would be a perfect hospital project for me, especially since it would be fun to make another variation of our Family Art Day Project a couple of years ago. 


I didn't have crayons in my Art to Go kit, but I figured oil pastels would have the same resist effect with the water colours. With this Kandinsky painting in front of me, I spent a good deal of time painstakingly painting in my circles, only to decide I didn't like the neat lines and controlled colours. (I wish I'd taken a picture, though, to compare! You'll have to use your imagination.) So I put random blobs of watery paint all over the page and held the paper vertically, letting the paint drip and wander where it willed, bumping into the oil barriers of the pastel lines, and running in different directions. Call me crazy, but I like the effect much better! It is somehow more unified and interesting. 







It got me thinking about my tastes in art. Would I be drawn to this kind of art to decorate my home? Mmmmm. Not so much. But I like it! And I think I like it because I look at it and think, "I could do that!" And I like the random, funky nature of it. I think I'm becoming random and funky in my old age! (I hear someone saying, "You mean crazy!" ;)


I also found myself wondering, "What's the point?" It's not like I would frame this and hang it on my wall (except maybe in our art room, where few people go. I'm more likely to recycle it and use it as a background for something else). But I remind myself -- it's the process, not the product. Some people might feel like doing this kind of art is a waste of time. But I do believe in the healing power of art and creativity. 


And since I need to heal, and it's fun, I think I'll ignore the voice in my head that says I could find other ways to be more productive. I can't remember who it was that recently reminded me (in a blog post) that Peace is more important than productivity in any given day. 


So I will pursue Peace. And letting the Spirit inspire me to be creative is one way I can do that. (Just rediscovering an old book by Brenda Ueland called, If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit. In a letter to her friend, poet Carl Sandburg, she said it was actually "a book about the Holy Spirit." That interests me! I don't know much about either of them, but since I already own the book from years ago, I thought I'd see what she has to say.)


Do you agree that Peace is more important than productivity? If so, how do you pursue Peace?

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree that Peace is more important. I also used a children's drawing tutorial for one of my AEDM pieces this week, so I identify with your art. I am currently recovering from a bout with depression, and my creativity has always been therapeutic for me. I am a two-time cancer survivor who is praying for your continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful 'study' of colors and their combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also praying for your healing.
    Thank you for inspiring me to create unique art and linking to great sites!
    Today, although I don't know you I am praying that you will know God has you in His hands. Here is a precious verse to me, Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's not something you'd put on your wall, but others would. :-). Also, I see a gift wrap design here!
    As for peace vs productivity...I think each one has its place and can actually work together. I know I feel at peace once I've been productive. Yet sometimes justallowing yourself to be at peace is productive as well; to the mind, body, and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for commenting, ladies! I so appreciate your encouragement, prayers, and ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...