Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bird Bombs -- and a Creative Challenge

I like birds -- in nature and in art (not so much up close and personal in my home -- hence no bird pets). I find the art of Geninne, a fellow blogger, particularly inspirational -- and she creates a lot of lovely birds. So, I recently thought I'd try my hand at creating some pretty birdies.  

The experience gave me a new appreciation of bird artists. It's hard to make beautiful birds. These first ones I did from my brain -- white ink on a failed (way too dark for what I was aiming for) background of spilled ink inspired by the work of Leah Piken Kolidas (she makes beautiful backgrounds and then creates images from the spills and splashes of ink on her paper). They're cute enough, I guess -- but they didn't turn out the way they appeared in my imagination. 


Another day I tried copying a picture from an Usborne illustrated book about birds. Mega bird bomb! Just sooooooo not what I wanted to create!


But I press on in my experimentation. The more I create, the more I want to create -- even when I'm frustrated by the process. Right now I'm working on "something creative" (still a secret for now) for a facebook challenge -- I have to create something for three friends who expressed a willingness to create something for three of their facebook friends, who will create . . . and so on, and so on (like the shampoo commercial ;) 


I love that concept. 


In fact, I love the concept so much that I would like to extend an invitation to my www friends. Here's the deal:

  • I will create something (I don't know what yet!) for the first three people who say (in the comments below) they would like to participate. 
  • If you say you would like to participate, you must issue the challenge somewhere (on your own blog, on facebook or twitter -- wherever you want) and personally make something in 2012 (don't wait too long and then forget!)  for at least three people, who will pledge to make something for three more people . . .
  • If you're one of the first three respondents, send me your address in a private message (my email address is posted on my sidebar) so that I can mail you my creation -- no matter where in the world you live! :)
So, who's in? 




10 comments:

  1. I like your birds! I love birds and have owned several. I also find it difficult to draw and paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking this idea - sort of a creative 'pay-it-forward'; count me in. I like the vague "something-ness" of making/getting stuff that has no parameters other than being a creative "something". I'll send you my address since it looks like you haven't already gotten 3 respondents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Phyl! As one of my online creative inspirations, I'm thrilled that you're going to participate :)I'll be watching for your email.

      Delete
  3. By the way - I forgot to say - I actually think the white bird on the dark background is adorable, even though you aren't satisfied with it. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I was mostly frustrated with my shaky hand on the spirals, and the fact that the white ink wasn't as bold as I'd hoped.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way! The more I create the more I want to create! Your 3 challenge is a fabulous idea-I have a boatload of commitments right now so I can't do it, but I still think it is a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Carolyn :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  5. I love the first picture. The background looks great with the light coloured birds. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...