Monday, June 25, 2012

Joy Journal Project


For years now, I've been collecting books and reading blogs about art journaling -- but I've never actually started an art journal that documents my life in some way. This past year, I've also spent a lot of time thinking about joy, and recognizing the link between joy and gratitude. When I came upon Amanda Jolley's Joy Journal Project the other week, I realized it presented the perfect opportunity for me to start art journaling with a purpose. And because it's a once-a-month class, it seems manageable for me. If I get behind -- it will be easy enough to catch up.


The first assignment was to journal about someone that brings joy to our lives. Since my husband and I will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary next month, and since he still lights up my life -- I chose to journal about him. After gessoing the page, I started by free-writing about how wonderful he is. That all got covered in paint -- but it got the creative juices flowing -- and I know it's under there! Outside of layers of paint, ink, and metallic crayon, I simply used a couple of photos and a bit of scrapbooking paper (the numbers -- which are representative of days and years of joy together) and added some text. 

I love the idea of altering books, so I chose this library discard as my Joy Journal base. It's thin enough that it's not intimidating -- but it has enough room for about a year's worth of monthly journal spreads. I plan to alter the cover, of course -- but I'm not sure how I will go about that yet.


Have you ever tried art journaling? What are your favourite tools and techniques? How do you find it differs from regular journaling?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful page. I'm doing the joy journal also. I've started on my second page. I'm finding it so much fun and it is a great reminder about focusing on joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you wrote all the words underneath. I do that often and am amazed that I always remember what is there and feel the emotions I felt when writing. Happy anniversary to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...