Thursday, June 7, 2012

New Art Journal

I've almost filled my drawing book, and since I purchased two when I started using Carla Sonheim's Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists, I decided to get ahead and decorate the cover so it's ready for use. 




I love the leathery texture of layered tissue paper, so I started by gluing pieces of old sewing patterns (nice, natural coloured tissue) onto the front cover, scrunching the pieces as I went to create texture. Then I layered chocolate brown, ochre yellow, and metallic gold acrylic paints, lifting some off here and there with some more tissue paper. To protect it all, I layered more glue on top (glossy ModgePodge). Glittered letter stickers and a piece of my old art attached with some leopard tape finished it off. I thought of adding more elements, but I want it to remain flat, so I decided to leave it at that -- at least for now :)


I've discovered that I can't use a journal or workbook as it is; I need to decorate it and personalize it.


Is there anything you need to "make your own" before you feel comfortable using it?  




2 comments:

  1. I love the rustic feel that the pattern tissue gave your art journal cover. I also like the juxtaposition of you folk style birds and leopard tape. I usually decorate my art journal covers too. It makes them so much more Intimate. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old sewing patterns? Great idea. I probabaly have a few in the attic that need to be recycled. Love your cover!

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...